> wrong with calling, writing, or even (God forbid) *visiting* parents and
> informing them of obligations? This is a job for the administration
> officials.

Yes, Russell, students generally *do not* want you going to their homes.
I find it very effective to offer to take the student home to get a book
when they keep stalling for one reason or another.  I always tell the
principal first so I'm covered if there's a problem.  Only a couple of
times have I had to do that (6th graders several years ago).  One had
left his book at his grandmother's who lived across town from his family
and both parents worked. He was very greatful to get the book in and to
be able to quit worrying about it.  The other one *reluctantly* allowed
me to take him home -- he found the book all right, out in the yard
without the cover!

Just about 3 weeks ago I told a high school student that if he didn't
bring his book back the very next day (he had been warned repeatedly)
that I was taking him out of class and home to get it. It was a very
popular new one, and we were trying to clear records for finals. He
looked alarmed and said he would bring it -- he did.  He had had it a
month or more.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home