Dear Russell, and others with similar thoughts, Yes states do vary. I'd
like to know the legislative intent behind some of the protective
language about grades, transcripts etc. My vice principal just told me we
are going to withold class schedules this fall until library and
textbooks are returned, paid for or adjusted.
Lets keep this dialog going.
Regards,

Robin

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Russell Smith wrote:

> raureli@CELLO.GINA.CALSTATE.EDU (Robin Aurelius) writes:
> > You can refuse privileges of any kind if you have sufficient reason. We
> > have withheld grades and transcripts. Others I know have restricted library
>
>     Maybe your state allows it, but it's illegal in Texas. Discipline can
> not be tied to grades and report cards can not be withheld for any
> reason. Many educators still don't know this (or ignore it) and still
> try to use the report cards as a threat. Bad idea in my opinion. What's
> wrong with calling, writing, or even (God forbid) *visiting* parents and
> informing them of obligations? This is a job for the administration
> officials.
>
>         Russell Smith   rssmith@tenet.edu   rssmith@camalott.com
> Region 14 ESC Abilene, Tx   Edtech Consultant, Certified teacher, Journalist

LM_NET Archive Home