On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Robin Aurelius wrote:
> Dear Russell, and others with similar thoughts, Yes states do vary. I'd
> like to know the legislative intent behind some of the protective
> language about grades, transcripts etc. My vice principal just told me we
> are going to withold class schedules this fall until library and
> textbooks are returned, paid for or adjusted.

   I'm not the spokesman for legislative minds, but I would assume the
rationale is that students should not be punished by methods that would
lead to educational harm. Take away their report card and then the
students and parents are denied documentation as to academic progress. The
same goes for class schedules...the student becomes further
disenfranchised from the mainstream student population. Punish them other
ways, but don't punish them academically.

   Another thought to ponder...one that was related to me by a professor
years ago. He said: "You know...books are not safe at some of the pupil's
homes and it's not the pupil's fault. Some kids have a terrible home
environment and they might rarely take a textbook or library book home
because of fear something will happen to it. When they do take a book
home and it disappears then who do we blame?"

        Russell Smith   rssmith@tenet.edu   rssmith@camalott.com
Region 14 ESC Abilene, Tx   Edtech Consultant, Certified teacher, Journalist

LM_NET Archive Home