Earlier in the week I had posted some questions
        about the usefulness of requiring permission
        slips in order to be able to check out library
        materials. I received many responses with these
        results/suggestions:

        Greater majority felt permission slips SHOULD NOT
        be required. (Many feel it's not fair, not right.)

        Some felt the higher rate of book returns had more
        to do w/teacher instilling responsibility.

        One school required parents to sign contract before
        taking home books...still, books are lost, still,
        responsibility if not positively encouraged.

        One wrote that all her students have permission to
        take books home, but are financially responsible.

        I was surprised at the number of records and reportcards
        held back 'til books were returned/pd. for.!

        Maintaining the paperwork for permission slips is
        too time consuming...better to concentrate on
        encouraging literacy, not preservation.

        Some said 20% of nxt. yr's budget is spent on
        lost, damaged bks, accept it and move on.

        Some limit checkout to 1 book at time, 'til
        responsibility is est'd and then expand that.

        If books lost, parents must  pickup reportcards
        AND talk to principal.

        Do intro. letters to parents.

        Add $2 for processing lost books.

        Send lots of parent letters encouraging positive
        reinforcement of book care.

        Encourage reading, not threats, focus on the postitives.

        Thanks for all responses.
        Rita
        Garden Homes. Ele. Milwaukee, WI

LM_NET Archive Home