Accepting, for the moment, that using both is a good idea, you need to
check each record very carefully, and do some judicious deleting of
duplicate exact matches. With our automation system (and I suspect
most if not all will do this as well), when you do a subject search
(either keyword or straight subject) you get a list of each time that
subject appears. So if BookA has the same subject from both Sears and LC,
you see BookA listed once for _each_.

In our case, we had stripped the "_xJuvenile literature" subheading from
the LC headings. So in many cases (and I'm not sure I've caught them all
even yet!), when you searched for SubjectA you got BookA listed once for
LC, once for LC Children's, AND once for Sears - making it look to the
patron as if we had 3 copies of BookA, which was very confusing to my 6-8
graders.
        Melissa Davis                   Librarian
        Splendora Middle School         Splendora I.S.D.
        P O Box 168                     Splendora, TX 77372
        Internet: mbdavis@tenet.edu     PHONE: (713)689-2853
        CompuServe: 75146,771           FAX: (713)689-8702

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Vicki M Sherouse wrote:

> I attended a MARC workshop with the head of catalogin for the Dallas
> Public Schools.  He recommended using both Sears and LC headings to
> provide as many access points as possible.  With automation one doesn't
> need to worry about this creating extra work.  What do others think of
> this idea?
>
> Vicki Sherouse
> sherouse@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home