Since automated systems operate a little differently than card catalogs,
and since Marc record let you designate what kind of subject headings you
are using in the 650- tags, using more than one doesn't matter that much.

In the second indicator, 0 = Library of Congress, 1 = Children's subj. headings
(LC) and 7 or 8 is used for Sears. Check your Marc cataloging manual or
guide for more details.

Most students use keyword searching first, and that satisfies 90% of them.
I get all kind of headings, depending on the vendor, then just delete or
add what I want.  I think 8 is for local headings. Since the computer can
sort these out, I think the important thing is to use what you want for your
kids to be able to find things.

Pat Wamsley (patw1@muskox.alaska.edu)  |{ancient Chinese blessing/curse}
wk: Colony HS Library (907) 746-9538   |
hm: 3700 Spruce Top Circle             | "May you live
    Wasilla, AK 99654 (907) 376-8854   |         in interesting times!"

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Vicki M Sherouse wrote:

> I attended a MARC workshop with the head of catalogin for the Dallas
> Public Schools.  He recommended using both Sears and LC headings to
> provide as many access points as possible.  With automation one doesn't
> need to worry about this creating extra work.  What do others think of
> this idea?
>
> Vicki Sherouse
> sherouse@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home