Hi All,
I recently joined your list and was hoping you would help a new comer to
LM_NET and the profession.  After 20 years as a special ed. teacher, I made
the wise choice to switch to a library position this year.
I'm a member of our school's 3 person technology committee.  None of us have
much computer experience but we've all purchased home computers and are
working hard to learn all we can.  We agree that our school needs to catch
up with the information age and we have a plan to help it along.
We're seeking corporate support to acquire computers and software for the
school and must submit written proposals listing specific materials and
equipment.  Having had minimal computer experience (other using word
processing programs for my library course work and lurking on LM_NET :-)),
I'm at a loss as to what computer capabilities I should ask for.  Here's the
school situation in a nut shell:
Elementary school with 500 K-2 students.  Grade level configuration may soon
include some higher grades in the next year or two.
Several computers scattered throughout the building, most of which are
restricted access due to the funds with which they were purchased (i.e.
Chapter I, etc.)
One MAC in the library for teacher use only.
We will be automated this summer using Winnebago.
The state is wiring all schools in the state with T-1 servers but it may be
another year or two before elem. schools are completed.

We would like to set up a small (4-5 machine) computer center in the library
that could be connected to classroom computers eventually.  The three of us
on the tech. committee prefer IBM but we won't look a gift MAC in the mouth.
Of course, we want CD-ROM capabilities (we have none now) and the highest
speed modem we can get.  I was told that we want at least 8 megs of memory.
What other specs should I know?

I'd appreciate some info. this weekend because I have a phone message
sitting on my desk asking me to call someone at a local business regarding
this project and I should return this call on Mon. A.M.  I'd like to sound
just a little bit like I know what I'm talking about.  In other words, HELP!
I need a crash course!
TIA
Susan Thompson-White                    e-mail: stwhite@magpage.com

LM_NET Archive Home