O.K., fellow educators -- I've found another issue that we must
confront.  The beauty of having computers available to students in the
library is the flexible use, meaning that students can come any time they
need to to do their various assignments.  Here, the lab and library are
constantly busy with all kinds of assignments going on at once.

I have "discovered" ;-) that the students who are good at word processing
and keyboarding are "typing" the handwritten papers for those who are
slower.  Our new TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills - still in
draft form) require that all graduating students be skilled in computer
use.  That is probably a universal goal for schools.  (The SCANS Report
*does* include it.)

Our freshmen and sophomore teachers have designed (with my input) research
units where the PROCESS (including using the very basic word processing
commands -- centering, double spacing, underlining, spell checking, etc)
is the purpose.

Then we have senior teachers who don't care *who* types the resume, cover
letter, paper, or whatever, as long as they get a finished PRODUCT.  Their
reasoning is that in college, you are able to hire your typing done so you
decide which is most important -- a professionally typed document or one
not so professional that you have done yourself.

Because the library lab aide and I monitor and assist these students as
they use the computers, we also see who is doing the actual keying in of
information.  I have finally gone to the teachers making the assignments
to ask which is their intention -- that the students learn a process or
turn in a product.  As an educator who feels that we (campus, district)
all have to work together if we assure that students reach particular
goals, I am curious to know how you handle the situation.

Have you designed a method for teachers to let you know which type of
outcome they want -- the process or the product?  Since we have found
this issue popping up more and more, I am asking teachers to make it
clear which outcome they expect of students, then let us know so we can
back them up as students use the school library tools -- you know, to
present a "united front".  (BTW, students also let those who *like*
computers do their electronic searches for them, as well.)

The only other way to assure that students have the skills we want them
to have is a hands-on test at the end of the year.

How do you handle these situations -- or do you?

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home