I suggested Madeline, Betsy, Tacy, Little House series.  Others suggested:
 The Caldecott winner _Mirette on the High Wire_ (Sorry--I'm home and don't
recall author and illustrator) and
I adore _Adventures of Isabel_ by Ogden Nash, ill. by James Marshall!

How about Amber Brown series?
Or Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Brave Irene by William Steig
Cam Jansen series by Adler
Check out the bibiography at the end of the book "Failing at Fairness."  (Better
yet, read the whole book).
One of my favorites is Steig's Brave Irene.  One of this year's
nominees for CA Young Reader Medal is Lattimore's Frida Maria: A Story of the
Southwest.  You might also consider Flossie and the Fox and Liza Lou and the
Yeller Belly Swamp both of which have characters who use their heads to outwit
adversaries.
How about RUBY by Emberley, the book about Pigs by Browne (a mother who leaves
because the family members are such pigs), also Lowry's ANASTASIA
KRUPNIK, also, see Henkes, JULIUS THE BABY OF THE WORLD  and CHESTER'S WAY from
Helen Dittmer

Here are a few other girls in books for K-3...Zelda and Angel, Rosy,
Al(exandra).  Can't remember the authors, but if you're interested, I'll look
them up.  Hope this helps.
Just Us Women  by Caines and Cummings
try Judy Blumes books, most of the books by Lois Lowery and for an oldie but
goodie, The ALL OF A KIND FAMILY SERIES by Taylor.
_Amazing Grace_ by Hoffman  (mentioned several times)
_Just Plain Fancy_ by Polacco
_The Bee Tree_ by Polacco
_Who's Afraid of Ernestine?_ by Sharmat
Try the Nora books by Johanna Hurwitz, also books featuring her
Elisa character (Russell's sister). And don't forget Cam Jansen (a
girl) by David Adler and Jenny Archer books by Ellen Conford.
My daughter loved the book about Deborah Sampson, I cannot recall the author.
It's in paperback and at a 2nd grade reading level or 3rd.  We read it last week
and she keeps looking at it and re-reading it.  Another is Carna and the Boots
of the Seven Strides.  Very much a strong female, take charge and be brave.  We
also just got a book called Little Sure Shot.  It's a bio of Annie Oakley and
she loved it as well.  She commented on how brave Annie was.  I didn't like it
that she picked up a gun knowing that was forbidden, but...
Amazing Grace is good, too.
And Cam jansen is a girl detective.
If you're looking for picture books along this line I might suggest the
following:
   Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
   Sea Swan by Kathryn Lasky
   My Island Grandma also by Lasky
   Very Last First Time by Jan Andrews
   Jamaica series by Juanita Havill
   The Patchwork Quilt by Valerie Flournoy
   Grnadma's Promise by Elaine Moore
   Nessa's Fish by Nancy Luenn

The Canada Geese Quilt by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock is a short novel.
A good picture book with an African American heroine for grades K-3 isAmazing
Grace by Hoffman.
The Paper Bag Princess by Munsch(?) is terrrific!
The Julia Redfern series are good - by Cameron I think.
Joanna Hurwitz's books also feature girls as main characters (as well as boys) -
such as Elisa.
Jenny Archer books by Ellen Conford
Rosie Cole books by Sheila Greenwald (?)
Off the top of my head, I can think of the Clifford books
one of which is Help I'm a Prisoner in the library which involve two sisters who
have adventures.
Also Suzy Kline has a character named Mary Marony who is in a couple of books.
How about David Adler's Cam Jansen series?
The following titles are available from Econo-Clad Books
Moira's Birthday - Munsch, Robert, Unknown to her parents, Moira invites the
entire school to her birthday party. 1987 (RL2,ILK-3) Annick, F Mun, unp.
1444835_____________________$9.85
New Coat For Anna - Ziefert, Harriet, Even though there is no money, Anna's
mother finds a way to make Anna a badly-needed winter coat. 1986 (RL3,ILK-3)
Knopf (A,Not,BCCB,NCSS,SLJ,HB), E Zie, unp.
1434471_____________________$10.89
Sally's Room - Brown, M.K., Sally's room is so messy it decides to show up at
her school to demand that she do something. 1992 (RL2,ILK-3) Scholastic
(K,SLJ), E Bro, unp.
1490317_____________________$8.85
Sophie And Lou - Mathers, Petra, Shy Sophie, enticed by the dancing that she
sees in the studio across the street, sets out to learn on her own. 1991
(RL2,ILP-3) HarperTrophy (RR,HB*,K*,A,SLJ,BCCB,HBFF,NOT,PW), E Mat, unp.
1474394_____________________$9.85
Brave Irene - Steig, William, When her mother is ill, Irene struggles
through a storm to make the deliv- ery of a party dress. 1986 (RL2,ILP-3)
Farrar, Straus and Giroux (A*,C,EC,PW), E Ste, unp.
1436963_____________________$9.85
Fancy Feet - Giff, Patricia, Stacy must admit her guilt when a pair of
beautiful gold shoes is lost. 1988 (RL1,ILK-3) Dell/Young Yearling, F Gif, 77 p
1437086_____________________$8.40
Molly's Pilgrim - Cohen, Barbara, Molly, a recent Russian immigrant, and her
classmates learn the true meaning of Thanksgiving. 1983 (RL3,ILK-3)
Bantam/Skylark (RR,C,A), F Coh, 41 p.
1448794_____________________$8.40
Angela's Airplane - Munsch, Robert, The story of Angela's trip to the
airport with her father and the trouble she gets into. 1988 (RL2,ILP-3)
Annick, E Mun, unp.
1437144_____________________$9.85
Emma's Christmas - Trivas, Irene, A farm girl is courted by a prince who
presents her with gifts of the twelve days of Christmas, finally winning
her. 1988 (RL6,ILP-3) Orchard (A*,HB*,SLJ,EC,K,BCCB,PW), E Tri, unp.
1465806_____________________$10.85
Geraldine's Blanket - Keller, Holly, When her mother and father insist that
Geraldine get rid of her baby blanket, she finds a new way to keep it with her
all the time. 1984 (RL2,ILK-2) Mulberry (NYT,SLJ,A,HB,C), E Kel, unp.
1441153_____________________$8.85
Jenny Archer, Author - Conford, Ellen, Stymied by an assignment to write her
autobiography, Jenny decides to enhance her life story by using her considerable
imagination. 1989 (RL4,IL2-4) Little, Brown (HB,EC,A), F Con, 61 p
1451624_____________________$8.85
Ruby The Copycat - Rathman, Peggy, Ruby insists on copying Angela, until her
teacher helps her discover her own creative resources. 1991 (RL2,ILP-3)
Scholastic (AB,A,K,SLJ,PW,IRA), E Rat, unp.
1475250_____________________$9.85
Faye And Dolores - Samuels, Barbara, Two young sisters agree and disagree, yet
remain affectionate. 1985 (RL3,ILP-3) Macmillan/Aladdin (A,SLJ), E Sam, unp
1434661_____________________$9.85
My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother - Polacco, Patricia, After losing running,
climbing, throwing, and burping competitions to her obnoxious older brother,
a young girl makes a wish on a falling star. 1994 (RL2,ILK-3) Simon
(SLJBB,Not), E Pol, unp.
1499698_____________________$15.00
Sisters - McPhail, David, Though two sisters are different in many ways, they
are alike, too--most importantly, in their love for each other. 1984
(RL2,ILK-3) Harcourt (C,CR,A), E McP, unp.
1444470_____________________$8.85
Cinnamon, Mint, And Mothballs: A Visit To Grandmother's House - Tiller, Ruth, A
child stays at her grandmother's and becomes aware of the surroundings there.
1993 (RL4.6,ILK-3) Browndeer (A,PW*), E Til, unp.
1491836_____________________$13.95
Dear Annie - Caseley, Judith, Presents a series of postcards and letters Annie
sends to or receives from her loving grandfather from the time she isborn.
1994,c1991 (RL2,ILP-3) Mulberry (A,SLJ,HB,PW,K), Fic Cas, unp.
1703719_____________________$9.85
Laura Charlotte - Galbraith, Kathryn, A mother describes her love for a toy
elephant she got as a child, a gift she has now passed on to her daughter.1990
(RL2,ILP-3) Philomel/Sandcastle (SLJBB,A,HB,PW,SLJ*), E Gal, unp.
1474519_____________________$10.85
Luka's Quilt - Guback, Georgia, When Luka's grandmother makes a traditional
Hawaiian quilt for her, she and Luka disagree over the colors it should include.
1994. (RL2,ILP-3) Greenwillow (A*,BKEC), Fic Gub, unp.
1497718_____________________$14.00
Christina Katerina And The Time She Quit The Family - Gauch, Patricia, Christina
quits her family so she can do whatever she pleases, but she finds total
self-reliance can sometimes be lonely. 1987 (RL6,ILK-2) Putnam
(EC,A,BCCB,C,K,NYT,PW,SLJ), E Gau, unp.
1465715_____________________$10.85
Hazel's Amazing Mother - Wells, Rosemary, When Hazel and her beloved doll
Eleanor are set upon by bullies, Hazel's mother comes to the rescue. 1985
(RL4,ILP-2) Dial (PW,SLJ,A,NYT,CS,HB,EC,C), E Wel, unp.
1443225_____________________$10.89
Best Friends - Kellogg, Steven, Kathy tells of her best friend Louise, with whom
she shares school work, neighborhood play, and a rich fantasy world.
1986 (RL2,ILP-3) Dial (RR,A*,PW,SLJ,Par,AB,IRA,CS,K,EC,C), E Kel, unp.
1442920_____________________$10.99
Jenny's Journey - Samton, Sheila, Jenny imagines sailing across the ocean to
visit her friend Maria. 1991 (RL2,ILP-2) Penguin/Puffin
(K,A,SLJ,HB,PW,BCCB,AB), E Sam, unp.
1474675_____________________$9.89
Annabelle Swift, Kindergartner - Schwartz, Amy, Annabelle's first day in
kindergarten is a success. 1988 (RL1,ILP-2) Orchard
(C,SLJ*,K*,A,SLJBB,PAR*,HBFF), E Sch, unp.
1451178_____________________$10.85
Amazing Grace and Boundless Grace by Mary Hoffman. Easy book format.
Amazing Grace
Chrysanthemum
D.W. Thinks Big
D.W. Gets Wet
D.W. the Picky Eater
Rosie, Sendak.
## Thanks to all who helped!

333
--
Anitra Gordon
Lincoln High School Library/7425 Willis Rd. Ypsilanti, MI 48197

LM_NET Archive Home