Dear colleagues,

I really think the point is not whether a term is obscene or profane but
whether it is appropriate in a professional forum. It is very true that
what is objectionable varies a great deal from person to person.  For
example, "butt" is considered a "bad word" where I am now, but in the
school I was last in, it was vaguely vulgar but not very objectionable.

We could bandy this subject about forever, but in our uncivil and unkind
world, we would probably be doing ourselves a favor by maintaining the
best and most professional tone we can in this group, IMHO.  Let's try to
be for each other; sometimes I wonder if anyone else is!!!

Roberta Cole Lader
e-mail: lader@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu

LM_NET Archive Home