nelsonb@SLS.LIB.IL.US (Nelson) writes:
>         Actually, Cinco de Mayo celebrates the "2nd independence" of
> Mexico.  This commemorates the victory of the forces of Benito Juarez
> over those of Maximilian.

   The battle at Puebla was May 5, 1862. Maximilian was archduke of
Austria and not directly involved in that battle or as far as I know the
subsequent campaign leading to the French occupation of Mexico City in
1864. He was offered the crown of Mexico by Napoleon in 1864.

   But it is quite true the French-Mexican war did represent a second
independence struggle for the Mexicans and in that sense Cinco de Mayo
can be accurately described as an independence celebration.

  Thanks for all the comments about Mexican history. It is a very
interesting subject.

        Russell Smith   rssmith@tenet.edu   rssmith@camalott.com
Region 14 ESC Abilene, Tx   Edtech Consultant, Certified teacher, Journalist

LM_NET Archive Home