If Bartlett's doesn't work, think Shakespeare or the Bible! I found it in
The Penguin Dictionary of Quotations c. 1962

"The quality of mercy is not strained,
 It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
 Upon the place beneath; it is TWICE BLESSED;
 It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
 'Tis mightiest in the mightiest..."

The Merchant of Venice Act IV, scene 1

Joyce Conklin                      jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
Hillsdale High School
San Mateo CA  94403-3819

On Fri, 31 May 1996, Debra Kiamanesh wrote:

> help, A teacher just came to me  needing the origin of a quote. I've looked
> in Bartlett's Quotations and came up empty handed.  The quote refers to
> being "twice blessed" or "doubly blessed"....anyone that can help, I would
> greatly appreciate it.
>
> Debra Kiamanesh
> Heschel Day School
> Northridge, CA 91325