The question about what days, how long, etc., ties in with an issue I'm
grappling with right now.  The aide at one of my schools has scheduled a
book fair to extend over a three week period.  During those weeks, she will
be gone for a couple of days to our state conference and closed for
Thanksgiving.  But the reality is that the library would be closed for three
weeks.  She and I have gone round and round on this issue for over a year
and I thought we had come to agreement that the Book Fair should not be
longer than 5 school days.  Teachers want the library open and I agree, we
should respect that--and be glad they care!

Anyway, she doesn't think she'll gross enough  (apparently the rep has
promised her a COMPUTER!!! if she has two fairs in the same calendar year
which gross $4000 or more each, something I knew nothing about until today)
and since it's a year round school, one track will not have a chance to
spend their money. If she does the longer fair those students will come back
and be able to spend their money.  My position is that is the reality of
year round--not everyone gets to do everything everytime.  Just make sure
the same people don't miss the next one--and she could have advertised to
the off-track people before they went off.  She has made these arrangements
without informing me until the last minute and I can't help but think that
is a calculated move on her part.  I don't have any supervisory authority
over her.

But that's not my dilemma.  If she really has a chance to earn a computer,
am I foolish to insist that she shorten the fair and loose that opportunity?
I believe I am right about the shorter time being better for the school and
I think I'm right to be unhappy with her method of handling this.  But I
don't want to cause the school to loose out.  So...what to do???  I'd be
happy to hear the collective wisdom of this group--you are truly my
professional sounding board!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,

Mary Helen

Mary Helen Fischer, District Librarian
Buckeye Union School District
Shingle Springs CA