A couple of people wrote to say that they couldn't find the term in
the OED. Look in a copy of the Supplement to the OED published in
1972, on p 1170. Everyone should find enough definitions to satisfy
curiosity without resorting to made up acronyms.

Someone else wondered if the word was an "urban legend". It is not,
but the tales about the acronyms are. One aspect of an urban legend
is that you always hear it third-hand or worse: a friend told my
second cousin at college, who told my uncle, and he told me. Good
grief, as they say in Peanuts.

Finally, if we use the word, and others like it, enough on LM_NET,
will the archives be blocked by Surfwatch type programs? <grin>

Dan Robinson
drobinson@info.hwwilson.com

LM_NET Archive Home