Concerning the question of Internet access for students / no game
playing...

We have 20 workstations in the LMC which have simultaneous access to
the Net through fiber to the local university.  Each classroom in the
school system has at least one workstation which accesses as well.  We
must have well-defined parameters for use of this network.  (We will
have simultaneous access to 1,400 computers soon!)  My position is
quite firm:  no games!  There simply is too much out there to waste
time playing games.  We have not officially rolled out our Net use
yet; we're waiting until a certain amount of teacher training has
occurred and the AUP has been signed by every patron.  Still we have
had a lot of use as I help students locate information because it
isn't readily available anywhere else.  It's wonderful to have it
right there at your fingertips!  During the election it was
invaluable!  My feeling is we can contribute a society of "arcade"
users to the world, or we can work on developing higher level thinking
skills and life-long learners.  I choose the latter.

Dr. Phyllis R. Mitchell
Media Coordinator
Carrollton City Schools
Carrollton, GA  30117