Dear LM_Netters,
Thank you to all who responded to my request for fiction titles featuring
special needs children. Here is a list compiled from the responses:

Where's Chimpy? - Bernice Rabe [photo fiction with Down Syndrome child]
Balancing girl  - Bernice Rabe [picture book with girl who happens to be in
                        a wheel chair, her physical challenge is not the focus]
Our brother has Down Syndrome - no author given, good for K-2
Be good to Eddie Lee - Virginia Fleming [hero is boy with Down Syndrome] most
                        recommended of all titles
Between friends - Sheila Garrigue [chapter book]
And don't bring Jeremy - Levy (?)
Stay away from Simon - Carol Carrick [chapter book]
Janet at school - (?) [photo picture book about a girl with spina bifida]
Captain Hook, that's me - Litchfield [simple fiction about a child with no hand]
Howie helps himself - David Adler (?)
He's my brother - David Adler {We have a book by Adler called My brother
Ainge                                                            (sp.?) -
could this be the same book? If so, it's a chapter book}
Someone called me a retard today and I cried. - no author given
Listen for the bus : David's story - Patricia McMahon
Naomi knows it's Spring - no author given
Knots on a counting rope - Bill Martin

Also recommended as good sources:
        Woodbine Press
        A series by Thomas Bergman which describes the lives of spec. needs kids

                         Thanks again, Marsha Sullivan, Newburyport, MA

LM_NET Archive Home