on 11/14 on HAWAII GAG ORDER, with information and comments.      Pat Wallace
   Denwall@aol.com
Please respond to me directly as well as to the list.
Subj:  Re: HAWAII GAG ORDER
Date:  Thu, Nov 14, 1996 7:11 AM EDT
From:  eletterl@ABELINK.COM
Elizabeth Letterly, District Librarian
Williamsville CUSD #15
Williamsville IL  USA 6269
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
(Multiple recipients of list LM_NET)

This is terrible and sad.

Has the media taken this up?
Has ALA taken this up?

I would think that some strong letters and strong
stances need to be taken by people whose professions
are made important by the ideals freedom of speech
and the support of each community's diversity.

What about other state library directors?
Are they remaining silent?
What about the schools of librarianship;
are they silent?
This needs to be talked about and reacted to.
Librarians are supposed to support their
communities in collection development,
IMHO.
This is wrong, wrong, wrong.  I think I, for one, will be
writing to Baker & Taylor and asking for a response and
indicating my dismay.  God help us if this goes anywhere
else under a guise of a "good idea;" God help Hawaii's libraries.

Has anyone contacted the Electronic Frontier Foundation
or any others devoted to freedom of expression via electronic communication?
 This may be an issue for their strong voice.
********************
COMMENTS :

First of all, could you tell me more about The Electronic
Frontier Foundation and provide me with a web site url or
e-mail address?

Secondly,

 I  belong to the Social Responsibility Round Table of the ALA and that group
has an Alternatives in Print Task Force which has formed an Acquisitions
Committee ( of which I am the  Chair). We want to  gather information about
the contract with Baker & Taylor and how its execution proceeds,  with an eye
toward drawing up some sort of statement of concerns for official
ratification by ALA and also  to form the basis for a discussion of this
issue at the ALA convention in SF next summer.

Maybe if we (SSRT/APT/ACQ) are persistent enough we can bring somepressure to
bear on the situation.  We all have a stake in it.  If people just look the
other way, they--out of
ignorance--will believe Mr. Kane's hype and come to
believe that outsourcing is the magic cureall to budget
cutbacks.   Then where will librarianship be?  Down the
tubes.

This is who else is on the committee with me:

Charles Willett, Co-Coordinator, Alternatives In Print Task Force, ALA/SRRT
editor, _Counterpoise_
publisher, CRISES Press
1716 SW Williston Road, Gainesville, FL 3260

Sandy Berman, Head Cataloger in Minnesota (Hennepin Co. Lib); Chris Dodge ( a
cataloger in Sandy's department, co-editor with his wife Jan DeSirey, also a
cataloger in the same department, of Minnesota Social Responsibility Round
Table Newsletter;
Earl W. Lee ( head of Collection Management at Pittsburg State U., Pittsburg,
KS.);  and
Margaret (Peggy) D'Adamo, Media/Materials Librarian at Johns Hopkins
University, co-coordinator of the AIP task force.

If you have thoughts to share or further questions, please
e-mail me at Denwall@aol.com.
Pat Wallace
Subj:  Re: HAWAII GAG ORDER