It occurs to me that the best way to get the most information about any library
matter is to ask all of you, so here goes, and there has been so much discussion
lately about library assistants and your interpersonal/professional issues with
them, that I realize that quite a few of you actually have assistants to have
issues with. I have a tremendously wonderful woman working with me. She has a
degree in a Business area but has been with me for four years, coming from 2
years experience at the public library. She is earning what a playgound aid  or
a lunchroom aid earns and I don't think that's appropriate.  Aside from
practically running the circulation aspect, she plans and implements programming
for the K-2 pretty much by herself. She is truly a gem.  So I'm looking for job
descriptions if you have them, but mostly I'm looking for support for raising
her salary out of the $7.50 range and up above $10.00 an hour. If any of you
could send me info on what your assistants are 1) called, 2)earn, 3)do, and 4)
have for background, i.e what do you require for the job, that would be
incredibly helpful.

Thanks.

Laurie Wodin
Hopedale, MA