List serves are WONDERFUL!-
-------- Begin forwarded message ----------
From: Barbra Byrnes <sweetpea@netnet.net>
To: Ruth L Rivera <riverar@juno.com>
Cc: EAT-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU, Stirkk@juno.com
Subject: Re: Potato Candy
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:23:51 +0000

Ruth L Rivera wrote:

> Hi Folks:  Received this request from a very special friend.  Can
anyone
> out there help her with this.  TIA
>
> Ruthie Rivera
> riverar@Juno.com
>
> Do you think anyone on your recipe list serve might be able to help
this
> person?
>
> -Kate
> Subject: GEN : Mashed Potato Candy
>
> Hi,
>   This is a strange one, I'll admit.  A teacher in my sister-in-law's
> school
> said that when she was little her grandmother made candy from leftover
> mashed potatoes that had coconut added and was dipped in chocolate.
She
> doesn't know what else is in it but would love to have this recipe.
Now,

>Here it is.  I am copying it from a book calledThe All American Potato
Book.
                        Chocolate covered Potato Candy
1 pound powdered sugar
4 cups flaked coconut
3/4 cup mashed potatoes, chilled
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 6 oz package semi sweet chocolate chips
4 squares ( 1 oz each) semisweet chocolate
1/3 bar (2 1/ x 1 1/2 inches) parafin

Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl; blending well.  Drop by
heaping teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper lined baking sheet.  Chill 1
hoour.  Roll each drop into a ball; set aside.  Combine remaining
ingredients in top of double boiler.  Place over boling water' heat
until chocolaate and parafin are melted, stirring c;onstantly.  Dip
coconut balls into chocolate mixture, swirling to coat evenly.  Remove
with tongs or fork to waxed paperlined baking sheet. Chill 1 hour, or
until coating hardens  Store in air tight container.  Yeild:40 pieces.