As someone who is affiliated with our local PBS station for instructional
television broadcasting and Director or our county media center, I was
invited to tour the EMG facilities last summer.  I was impressed by the
extensive satellite time, technology, etc., but didn't have much
opportunity to see what they really provide in content.  Their message
was that they would provide specific video segments upon request from
their "extensive" video library or would create one especially at a
teacher's request.  They also say they have extensive "experts" on
retainer to provide the story board or curriculum needed to meet the
request.  Some of their satellite channels have live folks answering
phone calls so the teacher can see the person as they are making their
request.   They also have some distance learning classes with a teacher
in a studio teaching over satellite to several sites.

My concerns were:
1. Cost - it is very expensive up to $100,000+ for a high school and
about $30,000 per elementary - per year!  We do not have that kind of
money in California for an annual service.  Though they say you have
access to their entire library, I do not believe you can retain video
copies of materials should you choose not to renew your contract.  Might
be more cost effective to create your own collection.

2. Content - I am worried that they would tend to pull what was in their
video bank of materials, whether it fit what the teacher really wanted or
not.  I also worry that the "experts" do not really know your local
curriculum needs.  We didn't see much in the way of content.  I'd ask for
a preview period to really examine a wide range of what they provide.

They also have a prepackaged video series called the Galaxy Classroom
which will have some new segments taped each year to react to input from
students who are participating.  This is an annual fee based service
also.  I frankly think that most of the Instructional Television and
local media centers provide as much quality to local schools  (that fit
their curriculum) as this service and for much less cost.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone out there has actually used the
service and what you think of it.

Susan Martimo Choi
smchoi@ix.netcom.com
"Strong school libraries