Hit: Science Fiction and Fantasy (Thanks to everyone who replied!) I've
compiled a list of responses so far, e-mail me at RitaInCT@aol.com if you
want an update if there are more replies)  Summary: the Redwall series by
Jacques is popular, as is the Ender's Game trilogy by Card. Thanks again to
all who replied!  Books with more than one recommendation are *-ed.
--Rita

[FYI: "VOYA" publishes a list of the best science fiction for YA's, I think
it is published yearly.  from Sandy]

*Alexander,  Llyod. The Arkadians.
Alexander,  Llyod. The Book of the Three.
*---. The High King.
*---. The Black Cauldron (low reading level of this seriesis good for
reluctant readers)
---. Prydain Series

Avi. Over the Sea Trilogy.

Baron, Tom. The Ancient One.

Barre, J.M. Peter Pan (the original, not Disney).

Brooks, Terry. Shannara series.
---. Magic Kingdom series

****Card,Scott Orson. Enders Game.
--. Speaker for the dead.
---. Xenocide.

Carrol, Lewis. Alice through the Looking Glass

*Christopher, John.  City of Lead.
*---. City of Gold.
*---. The White Montains trilogy(which actually contains 4 books)  He has
some others too. I'm not where I can get to the titles at the moment.
*---. Pool of Fire.

**Cooper, Susan.  The Dark is Rising Sequence.

Crichton, Michael. Jurassic Park.

**Dickinson, Peter. Eva.

Eddings, David. Mallorean series.

Engdahl, ?. Enchantress From the Stars. [I particularly liked "Enchantress
From the Stars" by Engdahl because the main character is a teenage girl. Too
many sci/fi books have a male bias. Jerimiah Newell
(jnewell@freenet.columbus.oh.us.)]

***Farmer, Nancy. The Ear ,The Eye and The Arm. Several students have told me
they discover new details every time they re-read it.  You can't get a better
review than that. [Alice H. Yucht]

Grahame. Wind in the Willows

Haddix.  Running Out of Time.

Hamilton, Virginia. Dustland. I think what I like about these for young teens
is that the fantasy is routinely connected to scenes of near normalcy.  They
require less of a credibility leap than stories like Anne McCaffrey's
wonderful Dragonsinger-types.

*Hughes,Monica. Invitation to the Game.

*******Jacques, Brian. Redwall series

Jones, Diana Wynne.  anything she's written

Jordan, Sherryl. Winter of Fire.  [I stronly recommend it. Female
protangonist set in future with caste system.  Every student who has read it
has claimed it was the best book ever! Lynda Short lshort1@ukcc.uky.edu]

L'Engle. Madeline.  Time Quartet (A Wrinkle in Time, et al.)

Lowry, Lois. The Giver.

Mahy, Margaret. Dangerous Spaces.

*McCaffrey, Anne. The Crystal Singer.
---. The Pern series.

Mennick.  Lingo .

Pierce, Tamora. Alanna series.

*Pullman, Philip. The Golden Compass. (It is fantastic, popular with
students, and has been read and enjoyed by several parents as well...we
recommend it highly! Kathleen Fernandes)

*Service, Pamela. Under Alien Stars (or Skies).  other titles as well

Sleater, William. The Boy Who Reversed Himself.
**---.The Duplicate.
***---. Interstellar Pig.

***Wrede, Patricia C. Enchanted Forest Chronicles (i.e. Dealing with Dragons,
Searching for Dragons, Talking to Dragons, Calling on Dragons)

Yolen, Jane. Briar Rose.

LM_NET Archive Home