Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 10:04:57 -0700
From: Lois Roberts <lrobert@odowd.pvt.k12.ca.us>
To: NEAToday@aol.com
Subject: use of the internet

Dear Sirs:It has come to my attention that you recently published an
article in NEA Today that expressed the opinion that the Internet is an
alternative to library research.  Having given reference advice and
taught reference skills to teenagers for ten years, in a setting in
which they have had Internet access for the last two years, may I humbly
offer the opinion that the Internet is a valuable addition to the
library but not a replacement? It has been my experience that the
Internet has been offered to the general public by the media as the
answer to all questions, but my real life experience that often a print
source is faster, more accurate, and more up to date than an Internet
one.  I have and will continue to teach Internet skills and feel it is
one of *many* resources available to my students.  I'd like to quote
Carole H. Carpenter in the September 1996 issue of *Technology
Connection*--"Do not allow students to waste time on the Internet
looking for information that's readly available in the library.  Using
the Internet to find basic information is like driving to a distant mall
to buy a bottle of milk.  It's silly, wasteful, and inefficient."  Yours
for the education of the young and old,  Lois Roberts

--
Lois Roberts Bishop O'Dowd HS Library, Oakland, Ca
lrobert@odowd.pvt.k12.ca.us

--------------2F6F5C1779EE--

LM_NET Archive Home