MarjorieP@AOL.COM wrote:

> The notion of a process information skills model is very important to
> me.  My students are college level and I find I still must teach parts of
> this process.  I do much of this on an as-needed basis and I have begun to
> put emphasis on the evaluation of process as well as their products.  I would
> be VERY INTERESTED in hearing how all of you do this.

Marjorie et all,
As you say earlier in this message, we have all been growing in our
knowledge and skill in developing curriculum and are changing our views
and perspective on lists of skills to be "covered".  The skill clusters
for content or process are the same for all age levels, they just change
in complexity.  It is useful to have suggested skill complexity levels
for all age groups to provide a guide, but in effect the skills should
be totally tied to what the task is.
I have found that when I use the BigSix model to plan with teachers as
we touch on each of the steps we keep a separate list of the skills and
knowledge students will need to have to do what we are going to ask them
to do for both process and product.  Then we can evaluate the teaching
and learning load for this lesson or unit, and separate out those skills
students already have and are to be applied, and those which are to be
taught and the level of complexity which is going to be required. We can
also establish priorities and develop timelines.  In evaluating for
process we have found that it works quite well to concentrate on the
area in the process which received the greatest teaching and learning
load.  The criteria for a good job of fact finding, for example, are
established by students during instruction.  Over time students will
learn to evaluate all of the steps in the process, so long as we make
sure to address all areas and not the same ones all the time.  It's a
real learning process for my colleagues and myself as we try to focus on
learning outcomes and not activities, and to move towards grading
students on their demonstrations of learning and not on such things as
handing the project in on time or on having 1000 words in an essay.

I, too, would appreciate learning of any other strategies that people
are finding to be effective.
--
--
Anne Symons