"...Neither have had skill exposure other than basic
identification, yet our second grade library curriculum specifically
states that they will practice fiction and non-fiction ordering. How
'bout you multiage librarians out there?  Do you meet with grades
separately?..."

We have some multiage and some single age of each from 1-6.
The Classroom teachers flip-flop. Do 1 one year 2 the second, On a fixed
schedule it is difficult to adapt the media skills curriculum to
multiage. However, there is a lot of introduce, reinforce, master in the
sequencing and it seems easy enough to hit every thing during the year.
I find that the limited exposure (1/2 hour once a week) does not make for
good retention of skills and do a lot of repeat of the important stuff
and gloss the less important. Working in groups (2-3) helps bridge the
age difference as does having 'helpers' like 4th grade come in to read
and share.  Also, you can do Dewey #s and limit it. I do 2nd grade intro
using the 500s by 10s. they get the sysem concept, match similar books,
and can expand as necessary into areas of interest.Last year a 2nd grader
told a room mom that ' Mammals were 599, thats why elephants are 599.6'

Bob Eiffert, Librarian at Image Elementary, Vancouver WA
beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home