    This was a pet project of mine several years ago.  I hope I have my
information straight, otherwise, I hope someone will jump in and correct
it.
     There are about 5 common elements to the Cinderella story, and it is
considered to be a variation if the story contains 3 of the elements.  The
oldest (according to information that is now about 10 years old) is a
Chinese version that is consided to have been told somewhere about 1000BC.
     There is an Indian (Little BurntFace) English (Cap o'Rushes), one
about a girl who has to break open acorns to get her wishes,  and
even one about a boy (Cinderfella) {no not the Jerry Lewis movie}.  If you
can find a library with a good fairy tales section, I am sure that you can
come up with several different versions of the story.
     By the way, there are many different versions of many of our favorite
fairy tales, maybe the students would be interested in seeing how many
they can find, and some are a combination of fairy tales, i.e. Cinderfella
is a combination of Cinderella and Jack and the Beanstalk.

            "Teachers with class.....surf"

Shirley Traylor            Phone#    (309) 523-3181
Librarian                  FAX # (309) 523-3550 (Superintendent Off)
Riverdale High School
Port Byron, IL 61275       E-mail: straylor@libby.rbls.lib.il.us

LM_NET Archive Home