Sharon McLarne's reply about this topic contains a good idea. Empowering
the staff is wonderful.
BUT...
We tried that a few years ago. The laminator was in the enrichment room and
teachers could turn it on after school to use. Unfortunately, several times
there were jams, roll arounds, and just plain run it off the rollers.
Without anyone canfessing to the problems!
Finally, it was decided by the staff [and of course I had to agree] that
the laminator would move into the library. No, my clerk and I collect the
laminating and several mornings a week [as we have some spare time] we turn
it on and do it. It does not take a lot of time, we do it in such a way
that we save space - something that wasn't happening before-- and then we
deliver it. We do not trim it for them, just divvy it up from one teacher
to another.
The staff is happy with the set-up [of, course, someone else is doing it!]
and if there is a foul-up I have only myself to blame. So far, that has
happened only once in 6 years.

If you don't have a clerk, find a trusted staffperson who would be willing
to help you. Let people know that you 2 will laminate after school on --day
and all materials can be left with the teacher-librarian bfore that date.

Yours truly,

Brian Rountree, Teacher Librarian      rountree@access.mbnet.mb.ca
Eastwood Elementary School
453 Princeton Drive                    phone (204) 677-6142
Thompson, Manitoba                     fax   (204) 677-6176
R8N 1W8   Canada

LM_NET Archive Home