Dear Librarians,

I read the following and was appalled.  Librarians advocating censorship?
 What ever happened to free speech?  In my opinion Leesie Falgout is
sharing with us who she is through her signature lines.  What is wrong
with that?  Isn't that what the signature lines are for?

I have seen posted on LM_NET what is passing as humor these days-no one
said a word.  I have seen questions asked over and over-no one said a
word.  But let someone mention anything to do with religion, and some one
wants to know if this is appropriate?  Let someone quote the Bible, which
is an historical document, and some one wants to know if this is
appropriate?

>Date:    Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:05:40 -0400
>From:    Susan Roscoe <SusanR50@AOL.COM>
>Subject: Re: religion on lmnet?
>
>RE;
>Leesie - Mom - Anne Elise - (Take your pick)
>Leesie Falgout
>Librarian, Cut Off Elementary School
>afalgout@cajunnet.com
>114 West 55th Street
>Cut Off, LA 70345
>504-632-3754
>
>April 15  --  For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the
>death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his
>life.  Romans 5:10  --  The atonement means that God can put me back into
>perfect union with Himself, without a shadow between, through the Death of
>Jesus Christ.
>
>Is this appropriate?????
>
>Susan Roscoe
>LMS
>Duffield Elementary School
>Ronkonkoma, NY

With 7000+ unique individuals from 42+ countries, I expect LM_NET to
provide me with a way to get to "know" these librarians.  When I
questioned if something should be posted I emailed Peter and asked him.
He is after all the arbitrator, the Daddy of LM_NET, and as such should
determine what should or should not be posted.  However, I continue to
wonder why anything to do with religion is usually the subject being
questioned.

I am subscribed to a number of different email lists, and I do not change
my signature lines, I use the same ones for all the lists.  I suspect
that is what Leesie did.  I do not have a problem with her lines, but
even if I did, as a Librarian and strong believer in free speech, I would
support her right to create a unique signature line.  If she was trying
to convert people to her beliefs through the body of her postings, that
would be a different story. However, I don't believe that she is, and I
for one would rather read about religion than sex or violence.

Let's move on.
Jean

Jean Bickel
jbickel@jtasd.k12.pa.us
Librarian/Jim Thorpe Area Senior High School
http://www.jtasd.k12.pa.us/highschool/library/libraryHP.html

LM_NET Archive Home