Dear LM_NETers,
        I am forwardeing to you this information which just appeared in my
mailbox.  If you wondered about the Batttle of the Books or wanted
"official" information here is you source:

Five of us will be doing a panel discussion program at AASL in Portland in
April.  Our program is called MOTIVATE TO READ! COMPETING THROUGH BATTLES, BEES
AND BOWLS and is scheduled for 3PM on Saturday.  The panelists are Roz Goodman,
who spurred the adoption of the program in Alaska public schools; Beverly
Mulhern, a YA librarian who has successfully used the program as a summer
program for teenagers in the Douglas County Library System in Oregon; Fran
Corcoran from Ela Township Library in Illinois, who has used it with all ages
in both schools and public libraries; as well as Cheri Page and Sybilla Cook
(me) who are the authors of BOOKS, BATTLES AND BEES published by ALA in January
1995.  Our book contains 5 questions each on 260 children's books, some of
which are mentioned on this LM_NET message, as well as suggestions for
implementing the program and a bibliography.  It's a GREAT program for those of
you who are just thinking about it, and we hope the five of us with our varied
backgrounds and experiences can answer any questions anyone can ask.  Do come!!!

I'm not on LM_NET because I felt there were just too many messages, but I would
love to be included in any future messages about this particular program.
Also, we are just beginning to finalize our plans and gather our handouts, so
any suggestions you may have about what you would like to hear would be most
helpful.

sybilla@rosenet.net

Ann Symons, Librarian
Juneau Douglas High School
Juneau, Alaska
907-463-1947
FAX: 907-463-1932
symonsa@jsd.k12.ak.us

 Roz Goodman
 goodmanr@jsd.k12.ak.us
 Auke Bay Library on
 Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday only
 Juneau, AK.

Jamie Murphy Boston, Librarian
Davis Joint Unified School District
Birch Lane Elementary, 1600 Birch Ln.  Pioneer Elementary, 5212 Hamel St.
Davis, CA 95616
916-757-5395/5413(FAX)
& 757-5480/5423(FAX)
jamieb@dcn.davis.ca.us