Hello Group,

We have several different versions of the Bible in addition to a
concordance and a Book of Morman. Our American Literature class requires
that certain books of the Bible be read as literature during the summer or
at the first of school before they begin the class because so much of the
early American literature mentions or uses biblical references. Students
read those books or verses of the Bible that the particular literary
pieces either mention or elaborate on.

Ours are shelved in the 200s, of course.  They aren't checked out often
except for that one reading assignment, but every once in a while a
student will rush in to find one to prove a point when they are discussing
a religious or ethical issue.  (Remember, I live in the "Bible Belt" of
the U. S.) We also have a Bible written in Spanish. (We have a large
Hispanic population.) That one IS checked out fairly frequently because we
have students whose parents or grandparents do not speak English, and the
students check it out for them.

We do not have a Koran, but we have quite a few books about the different
religions of the world. One of our social studies teachers has his
students do a comparison of the main world religions each year and they
use our library lab computers and the "tables" feature to create charts of
comparisons where a major characteristic of each one is listed at the top.
Students then fill in the blocks underneath according to how the religion
views that particular issue.  Then, as the teacher talks about the
different countries and their roles in the world, students can see how
the religion influences decisions and attitudes.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home