Dear LM_Netters,

        Many thanks to all of you who sent information about the Caspr disk
of marc records, sold by Highsmith, & those who mentioned the other useful
products.   I have some great ideas.   A couple of people asked for a hit
list (hmmmm) so here it is.

                        Diantha, AS Madrid

I am in the process of automating my elementary library right
now with the use of this product.  Sometimes I love it, and sometimes
I'd like to fling it into the nearest trash. I haven't figured its hit
rate exactly, but I'd say you will find at least half if not 2/3's of
your titles.  It does go way back. You will have to make some
adjustments anyway as the records may not include all that you want for
your catalog.  I don't know how it works with records you already have
as I am not in that position.  Personal opinion - if you have a lot of
titles to catalog, it will be worth it.
For a few, I don't think so.  I've heard Alliance Plus through Follet is
even better!
        Laurel Brunell
        brunell@interaccess.com

I have not used the Highsmith version, but I have used Follett's Alliance+
which is also mainly for schools.  Our school system gets it on a district
license and we pass the discs around among those of us who are automated.

My circ records were entered by hand in short form (author, title, standard
book # if known, call #, and local sl info) when the previous librarian
automated over 3 years ago.  I have since upgraded to the Unison platform
of Follett's Circ+ and recently ran my first "autorecon" to flesh out my
Marc records because I hope to add the catalog module soon.

My "hit" rate was a little over 50% on the automatic run.  My library has
between 7,000 and 8,000 items and the process took most of the day.  I have
started processing the misses and am finding 20% or more so far...I expect
the rate to increase once I hit the fiction section.

My previous "full" backup only required one 3 1/2" floppy.  Now it takes
three!...hate to think how long it will eventually be.  I'll probably have
to go to tape backup (which I usually only do about once a month).

Even though the Alliance+ was designed as a Follett tool, I believe it CAN
be used with other systems.  If you would like pricing info, let me know
and I'll try to get it for you.  Follett has an e-mail address or three for
various types of questions, and I think I have those written down at
school.  Let me know if you want the info.

Haven't used this particular product, but have used Brodart's Precision
One product.  It worked great for us!  I employed students from our high
school to search for records for our schools, saved them to disk, and
then sent the disks to schools for upload.  Found at least 50% of our
old titles on the disk.  Really saved us much money on MARC records.

Pam Tuggle

I use Alliance Plus which is sold by
Follett to allow in house cataloging.  They sell two cds: one has older
materials, the other the more recent.  I get hits a good deal of the time on
books I have purchased for a K-12 school.  Did I say the collection was
automated before I came here in 1995?  I tried a check they offer which
compares the data on the cd to your database and got a few things upgraded to
full records, but can't remember the percentage.  Will check some things for
you on Tuesday and reply.

Emma A. Zell
St. Johns Country Day School
Orange Park, FL
Diantha :  I'm not sure about the product, but you might want to check out
Biblifile's program.  It had millions of MARC records and was very easy to
use.  As for email, I'm certain it's on my International School Librarian's
webpage (http://www.iteachnet.com)  By the way, I've set it up so that you
can e-mail or get to their webpage from that site.  Earl Sande (Brent
International School Manila)
I used to work for the company that developed MARC for Schools.  It is an
alternative way to get MARC records into an automated system if you
cannot afford retrospective conversion.  It sure beats hand entering the
bibliographic records.  I am not sure how far back it goes, at least to
the 1950's.  It is quite complete.  Uses Dewey-Sears subject headings.

You will need to add your own holdings information.  If you have more
questions please email me.
Sally Martinus <martinus@wahoo.sjsu.edu>

I have been using Precision One from Brodart to retro my catalog and do
new stuff as we are in the process of barcoding and putting our catolog
online.  I have had pretty good success with this product.  Have been
using it for over a year.  The initial subscription is pricey - sorry, I
don't remember, but the yearly fee for quarterly updates is right around
$500.  You can also get monthly updates for more.  I have found that the
quarterly updates work well for me.  I am not on the cutting edge in
getting new books.  By the time I do purchase them, the new disc has come
in and I'm okay.  The only "problems" I experience are with some of the
hits not having as much info as I'd like (summaries in the fiction books,
table of contents for some,) but I add these myself.  The support system
has been great.  If you don't have Brodart's address, email or otherwise,
let me know, I'll get it to you.  Good luck.

I have used that CD-ROM to input MARC records in both my schools.  The hit
rate has been fantastic.  At the beginning, I joked that if the MARC record
wasn't on the disk then it would help me with my weeding decisions.  But
darned if most of my books (both High School and Elementary School) aren't
on that disk.
   They update it 3 times during the year which is a nice feature.  I am
using CASPR and I purchased the disk from them.
Best Wishes,
Sandy Guest
From: sguest@sugar-river.net (Sandy Guest)

We use and are very happy with Brodart's Percision One.

Ray Barber
William Penn Charter School
Philadelphia

We are in the process of automating the elementary libraries in our
district and are using Precision One by Brodart which is excellent.  It
is also about $500 for a quarterly subscription, but I think there are
close to a million records on this database.

Hope this helps.

Nancy Giacomini
Sterling Middle School
Sterling, C0 80751