Having requested a novel on the Vietnam War for a 7/8th grade class to
read, the overwhelming suggestion I received was for Walter Dean Myers'
"Fallen Angels".  I received about 20 responses, and at least 15 of those
suggested this book, though a couple said that it might be too strong for a
7/8th grade class because of the language.

Here are some other suggestions:

>The books that my students love are:
>
>     Fallen Angels by Walter D. Meyers
>     Man in a box  No author known
>     Young Man for Vietnam  No author known
>
>These are popular and all but Man in a box are in paperback.

>The only one I can think of is Hello, My Name is Scrambled Eggs.
>
>There's Eve Bunting's The Wall which is a trade (Picture) book...but it is
>excellent for discussion.

>How about Park's Quest by Paterson?  has Vietnam War background

>We use Charlie Pippin as a classroom set for our sixth graders to read.
>While not actually set in Vietnam, the book concerns the aftermath of the
>war and those who fought in it.  Marty  mking@remc12.k12.mi.us

>Always to Remember:  the Story of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial by Brent
>Ashabrenner is a well written account which would be good for this age group.

>Also--Year of Goodbyes..can't remember, but it was very good.  I'm pretty
>sure it was Vietnam War.

>Buffalo Boy by Sherry Garland.

>I recently read a story by Mary Downing Hahn about the Vietnam war.
>Sitting here at home, the title  escapes me.  The story concerns a young
>woman who attempts to befriend a homeless vet.  Subplot deals with her
>father who is a vet and refuses to discuss the war with her.  Not exactly
>about the war, just reaction to it.  Sorry I can't think of the title,
>but I know we have 4 copies in paperback.

>two books that about Vietnam era are "And one for all" by Theresa Nelson and
>Walter Dean Myers' "Fallen Angels" both are available in paperback . Sandy

Thanks for everyone taking the time to respond.  The teacher was so
impressed that she has another request...World War II novels.

Katherine Haigh
Haines Elementary Media Center
Haines, AK
khaigh@server.hbsd.k12.ak.us