First read this for a review for my district's book evaluation program.
It is simply excellent!  It grips you and leaves you thinking about being
a teacher and reaching your students....are you really reaching them...but
the story isn't about teaching or teachers.  It's told via dialog,
homework assignments, newspaper articles.  Four friends, on the basketball
team, drink and drive after a game.  They crash, the car burns, and 3 of
the 4 survive.  The one who drove can't come to grips with causing his
friend's death...the story is about how he handles the situation...how it
affects his relationships with friends and family.  Reading level is in
itself faily easy...Interest level is 8-12.  My 9th graders have
discovered it with a vengence and one of the teachers is thinking of
buying a class set.

Esther Sinofsky                         Los Angeles USD
Hamilton High Schools Complex           310/836-1602 x2229
2955 S. Robertson Blvd.                 FAX: 310/842-8663
Los Angeles, CA 90034
e-mail:  esinofs@lausd.k12.ca.us
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is
essential is invisible to the eye."  -  St. Exupery

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Anne Anderson wrote:

> I would appreciate comments on the book Tears of the Tiger by Sharon M.
> Draper.  Am particularly interested in the reading level of the book.
> Thanks.  Anne
> aanderson@lakes.ring.com

LM_NET Archive Home