     Seeing a reference to Tomie de Paola earlier today reminded of a
fun meeting with this author/illustrator several years ago when I
worked in the elementary library.  I attended an authors' roundtable
which included Mr. de Paola and Lois Lowry, among others. They were
delightful, and I'd love to repeat it.
     At the time I had heard many teachers and librarians use
different pronunciations when  talking about Tomie de Paola, so I
just asked him the correct pronunciation of his name.
     He said that "Tomie" is just like the name "Tommy" and  "Paola"
is like a buddy "Pal-a"  - definitely not like the name "Paul" or
"Pay O la". He said that is the closest he can get to describing how
to say it ...
     So just in case you've wondered, now you know...Judy

     Judy Stewman,Librarian
De Queen High School
De Queen, Arkansas 71832

stewmanj@dqhs.dmsc.k12.ar.us