  In college I majored in Anthropology, and loved it.  During my last year,
I got a part time job in a branch of the New York Public Library.  I
enjoyed that work very much, especially in the Children's Room.  As it came
close to graduation and I was thinking of getting married, going to Library
School for a MLS seemed more compatible with marriage that getting a Ph. D.
in Anthropology   --  the minimum degree required to do anything much in
that field.  So I got my library degree while working at NYPL, and stayed
with the public library until my daughter came along.
    Then we moved to rural upstate New York, and as I began to consider
going back to work I realized there was not much public library opportunity
where we lived, so I got the Education courses required to get my SLMS
certificate.  I have been a school librarian for 15 years, first K-12, then
7-12, now 6-8.
     Don't know if I'm the only librarian with an anthropology background.
If there's anyone else out there, let us know.

    Giulia Greenberg
    Librarian, Unadilla Valley Middle School
    snbcs@norwich.net

LM_NET Archive Home