---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Rebinding Books
Date:    97-06-19 22:09:11 EDT
From:    NThackaber
To:      listserv@listserv.syr.edu

While I was proctoring an exam this morning, my principal decided to call me
on the classroom phone to discuss creating a criteria for rebinding
textbooks, and guidelines to be set in order to judge whether a student
should be liable for the payment of rebinding textbooks.  Why am I involved?
 The budget line for rebinding library books is the same one as for rebinding
textbooks.  Some teachers feel all students should be responsible for paying
for the rebinding regardless of the age of the book.  Other teachers are more
reasonable.  The problem arose this year because we have many more damaged
textbooks than $$ to rebind them.
Does any one have a document of this kind?  Perhaps a contract that a student
and parent sign for each textbook that indicates it's condition?
Or even better, does anyone know of a way I can quietly run away from this
task during this busy time of year?   Of course my principal wants this
document created and ready for September '97 textbook issuing.
We, the teachers at Catskill, have not had a contract for over 2 years.  Am I
obligated to do this?

Nancy Thackaberry Librarian 6-8
Catskill, NY
Catskill Middle School