Hi Netters!
  This discussion reminds me of a discussion I had with a teacher about
eight or nine years ago. I pointed out to her that Dr. Seuss' last name was
actually pronounced "Soice" as in rhymes with choice. She had her class
right to Dr. Seuss and he responded that it didn't bother him how people
pronounced his name as long as they bought his books. She didn't get the
joke. However, the name was his mother's maiden name and it was pronounced
by the family as rhyming with choice.
  I have found that names of persons, places and things tend not to follow
rules of pronunciation and tend to take on a life of their own when they
become public. You should hear what people did with my maiden name and do
with my current last name. :-) JMHO.
MaryAnn Doty Rizzo

>During a heated phonics/whole lang. exchange at my staff meeting the
>other night, my northwest colleagues kept pronouncing HM as HOO-tin
>Mifflin.  I finally had to speak up and remind them that if they'd had a
>strong Whole Language background in their own education, they would know
>the correct pronunciation.
(snip the rest)

MaryAnn "the librarian" Rizzo

"We need to educate our children for their future and not for our past" A.
C. Clarke

"Keep smiling -- it keeps everyone wondering about you."  M. Rizzo

LM_NET Archive Home