Hi fellow netters!
  Sorry this is so late but I was waiting for a response from Parental
Discretion and I just got it yesterday. Note: this is not meant to be a
selling of any particular product. If someone has bumped into other
products out there, let me know and I will post an additional hit.
  I received many requests for information on monitoring programs for
Internet use. So far, I have uncovered three programs that may do this for
those who have IBM platforms but I have yet to find one that is available
yet on the Macs. The three are:

Purview (used to be SNAG)
  http://www.purview.com
  Purview's program works on an NT server and will recognize Macs connected
to the server but will not work on Macs by themselves or served through a
Mac. :-(

Cyber Snoop
  http://www.pearlsw.com
  Cyber snoop indicates that they will consider making a copy "if the
funding was provided by an external source. If for example, there was a an
organization that would like to sponsor the development of it, we would be
happy to oblige." Obviously, they don't understand the realities of
libraries if they think we have money to develop this software. :-(

Parental discretion
  http://www.dai.net/parent/
And, parental discretion says that it is free to "educational facilities."
Parental discretion says that "Parental Discretion is not yet available on
the Mac but will be, as part of a larger Internet management package, in
the not too distant future. We will supply PD to schools free of charge,
albeit in Windows95/NT format at present. If you download from our Website,
go to the registration page and then call or email with the serial number
of your package, we will supply a code to make the software fully
operative.  Please try it out!"
When it becomes available in the Mac format, I will let you all know.

Hope this helps.
MaryAnn

MaryAnn "the librarian" Rizzo

"We need to educate our children for their future and not for our past" A.
C. Clarke

"Keep smiling -- it keeps everyone wondering about you."  M. Rizzo

LM_NET Archive Home