I agree with you 100%. Watching or reading something is the choice of the
viewer or the reader. As far as I know televisions have an on and off
switch and books can be closed. That is what is wonderful about this great
country of ours, freedom of speech!. The Holocaust really happened with
those awful pictures of starving, brutally treated people. It would have
been an insult to those people who died and struggled to live to have had
the people clothed when in reality they were nude as the decision was made
as to who would live or die. I agree, we need to expose our children and
the world to this awful event to try to prevent it from happening again!

Jackie Groves in response to the message below written by Dianne Parham on
March 7:

We were also exposed to a very sanitized and prettified version of
history.  Nothing in SCHINDLER'S LIST came close to the horrors of the
reality.  We have young people who think the holocaust didn't happen and
if it did, it was no big thing.  Those young people will be our future
leaders...do we want them thinking that killing people is easy (they all
ready think that) and that there is no consequence of murdering people?
Do not make my viewing choices for me.  SCHINDLER'S LIST was powerful and
sad and ultimately a tribute to the stubborn human will to live.  And it is
hard to watch....and it should be hard to watch.  And I feel sorry for
those of you who only noticed the nudity of the body when it was the
baring of the human soul that was important and was the message.
Don't watch if you think not watching will change history.  That is
your choice.  Not mine.  Dianne Parham, San Diego Public Library

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Maurita Buhl wrote:

>   I seem to remember growing up in the 50's and being aware of and educated
> about the Holocaust without being exposed to nudity or graphic violence.  It
> is time we recognized that getting the point across does not mean leaving
> little to our imagination.

Jackie Groves
Elem. Librarian
Edward R. Andrews Elem. School