Bonnie,
     AR is a wonderful program.  I'm not sure I'd want to keep the books
separate from the main collection; here's the reason why.  Teachers are
not always familiar with separate collections like that, and if one of
them comes into the library looking for a particular title and doesn't
find it on the shelf, they deduce that it's been checked out and, in
doing so, forgo any plans they might have had when they came in
looking the the book in the first place.  Also, it's a lot of extra work
with marking the cards (if you still have them) for easy access.
     We use red-orange florescent tape at the tops of the AR spines.  At
a quick glance one can easily tell which are the AR books.  Just inside the
front cover is a label with point value and reading level.  These labels
can be printed out from your AR program.
                                                - Marian -

LM_NET Archive Home