Thanks to the many librarians who responded to my request for names of
Native American authors.  The response was overwhelming. I must admit
that I am chagrined not to be familiar with most of the authors.  I am
reporting a short list of authors who were recommended by 2 or more
respondents.  Following this list are some print sources on Native
American literature and one commercial Web site that sells books by
Native American authors.

Authors with number of recommendations in parenthesis:

Joseph Bruchac (10), Louise Erdrich (9), Michael Dorris (9), Sherman
Alexie (6), N. Scott Momaday (5), Jamake Highwater (4), Shonto Begay
(4), Vine Deloria (3), Janet Campbell Hale (3), Leslie Marmon Silko (3),
Virginia Driving Hawk Sneve (2), Simon Ortiz (2), Gerald Robert Vizenor
(2), Paula Gunn Allen (2), George Littlechild (2), Russell Means -
autobiography (2).

Native American Almanac by Arlene Hirschfelder and Martha Kreipe de
   Montano (Prentice Hall)
As Long As The Rivers Flow: The Stories of Nine Native Americans by
   Paula Gunn Allen and Patricia Clark Smith
Multiculturtal Voices in Contemporary Literature: A Resource for
   Teachers by Frances Ann Day (Heinemann 0-435-08826-2)
Native North American Literature (Gale)

Greenfield Review Press: nativeauthors.com

Thanks again for all the valuable suggestions.

Carl Martz
Librarian, Yucaipa High School
Yucaipa, CA
carlton_martz@eee.org