Friends,
     A few weeks ago I posted a message asking for lesson/book ideas to
use with a Pre-K class.  I received many, many responses--thanks to all
of you who took the time and trouble to help me out.  Here (at last!) is
a summary of "ideas and advice" offered by so many.
     First, nearly every one reminded me that children of this age have
a VERY short attention span and those in Pre-K classes are often there
because they lack the maturity of others their age--so each activity or
story should be brief.  Most people suggested visits to the LMC last
between 15-20, with the teacher or aide present.
     Generalizing, a typical visit would include:  two or more SHORT
books (often paraphrased instead of read verbatim); movement activity
and/or fingerplays; songs or poems; a simple art activity; book
selection.
     Most suggested using short books with big, bright pictures and
large lettering--big books were often mentioned.  Appropriate stories
included those with repetition and rhyme--stories that encourage the
kids to become active participants through counting, repeating,
predicting, etc.  Several people advocated use of flanneboards, magnetic
boards or velcro aprons and figures to tell stories--letting the
children particitpate. Regardless of format, it was mentioned that
stories should be read with LOTS of expression and enthusiasm.
      Some suggested trying to coordinate books with lessons being
learned in the classroom--others said this was a difficult task
(requires cooperations, etc.).  Few people mentioned specific titles,
although "Clifford," _Jump, Frog, Jump_, Denise Fleming books and Raffi
were named, repeatedly.  Some people said they DO NOT attempt to teach
anything--visits are primarily for literature enrichment and book
checkout.  Others said they read and discuss books that convey concepts
(numbers, colors, shapes, etc.).  Many people suggested that each visit
cover one book care rule--stressing proper care and habits right from
the start.  I did hear a very clever idea from two different people--a
baby book.  Really!  A picture book is diapered, tee-shirted, blanketed
and placed in a basket.  The kids discuss proper ways to handle and care
for a REAL baby (clean hands, don't drop it, don't leave it outside
overnight, etc.), then transfer that type of care to care of books.
Clever.
      Most responses recommended checking out one book per child--often
to the teachers instead of the children--to stay in the classrooms.
Most frequently the books checked out were selected from "pre-selected
books" set aside by the LMS before the kids arrival.  Many mentioned
that the kids might not have ANY books at home and have no other
opportunity to handle a library book.  However, I was warned that books
are frequently lost or damaged.  Oh, well.
     I was warned about the kids.  I was told that they are noisy,
active, have runny noses, demand and need a lot of attention, crave a
lap to sit on BUT they ARE FUN and they are really excited about
visiting the LMC.  Instead of dreading the visits of these kids, most
LMS's said that the enthusiasm of the children actually "makes their
week!"
     The responses I received were "comforting."  I really don't feel
the level of anxiety I felt earlier.  Thanks for all your insight and
help.  You are a GREAT bunch!
--
Kathy Hutton, LMS
David A. Harrison Elementary