Do any of you - especially those of you in Texas - know of cases where a
librarian was named Teacher of the Year?  I believe a librarian was state
teacher of the year in one of the New England states several years ago.
Maybe someone can verify that.

There is currently a bill pending in the Texas legislature to waive
tutition at public universities for children of classroom teachers with 10
years or more experience, and to waive both fees and tuition for
children of classroom teachers with 15 or more years experience.  The
bill excludes librarians.  The bill is intended to be a way to
retain experienced teachers in the classroom.  Apparently the library is not
considered a classroom, or perhaps librarians are not considered teachers.  Our
Education Code is fuzzy about whether or not librarians are teachers.

In letters to our legislators, it would be nice to be able to point out
instances of librarians being chosen by their teaching peers as Teacher
of the Year.

TIA

Diane Durbin
Coordinator of Library Services