Thanks to all of you who sent me information about librarians being named
Teacher of the Year.  I have identified at least two who represented
entire states - Kim Carter (New Hampshire) and Kathy Akey (Wisconsin).
Many others have been named TOY in their buildings, districts, counties, etc.

For those of you who asked - yes, school librarians in Texas must have
teacher certification and, yes, we are paid on the teacher, not
administrator, pay scale.  However, many of us do not get the planning
period or duty-free lunch required for teachers, and when the career
ladder was in effect (additional pay for reaching higher "rungs" on the
ladder), librarians were not elibigible.  No, Texas is not a union state.

Several people have asked for information about certification
requirements or other requirements for working in Texas.  I will try to
get to back to those individuals ASAP.

Thanks for all your help!

Diane Durbin
Coordinator of Library Services