Thank you for your help in compiling a list of children's books that
provide good examples of similes.

The following books are available in our library collection, so I have
looked at them and will recommend them to our teachers:

Bunting, Eve.  A Turkey for Thanksgiving.
     ("pressed leaves, thin and pale as new ice on a pond")
Cole, Brock.  The Winter Wren.
     ("spring rolled before them like a big green wave")
Moore, Clement.  The NIght Before Christmas.
     ("as dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly" etc., etc.)
Tresselt, Alvin.  Hide and Seek Fog.
     ("the fog twisted about the cottages like slow-motion smoke")
Yolen, Jane.  Owl Moon.
     ("whiter than the milk in the cereal bowl")
Young, Ed.  Seven Blind Mice.
     ("sturdy as a pillar, supple as a snake, wide as a cliff...")

We also have the book More Similes by Joan Hanson.  I do not like it as
much as the above literature examples, because it uses familiar cliches
("as pretty as a picture," "as stiff as a board," etc.)

These books were also recommended, but I have not looked at them:

Bunting.  The Man Who Called Down Owls.  (Also recommended as The Man
     Who Could Call Down Owls).
Carrick.  Dark and Full of Secrets.
Collins.  The Willow Maiden.
Dragonwagon.  Jemima Remembers.
Fields.  The Green Lion of Zion Street.
Fleischman.  The Scarebird.
Haseley.  My Father Doesn't Know About the Woods and Me.
Kennedy.  Song of the Horse.
Mattingley.  The Miracle Tree.
Nesbit.  The Deliverers of Their Country.
Nixon.  Fat Chance, Claude.
Parnall.  Apple Tree.
Parnall.  Winter Barn.
Say.  The Bicycle Man.
Sommer.  I Read You Loud and Clear.
Tester.  You Dance Like An Ostrich.
Tennyson.  The Lady's Chair and the Ottoman.
Turner.  Dakota Dugout.
Turner.  Nettie's Trip South.
Wood.  Quiet as a Cricket  (Also recommended as Quick as a Cricket).
Author?  Airmail to the Moon.
Stolz.  Storm in the Night.

Also,
Hanson, Joan.  Similes.
Hanson, Joan.  More Similes.
Juster.  A Surfeit of Similes.

A resource suggested by Judy Smith:
Using Picture Storybooks to Teach Literary Devices, Oryx Press.

Thank you to everyone who suggested titles.  These people included
Mary Stumhofer (Rollinsford, NH), Sue McGown (Houston, TX), Judy smith,
(Fayetteville, AR), Pat Hoberg (Lititz, PA), Nancy Schiffer (Kaycee, WY),
& Marily Rose (Provo, UT).

P.S.  The list should include Captain Snap and the Children of Vinegar
Lane by Roni Schotter.

Ginny Waples, Librarian
Meadowlark School
Billings, Montana 59102