I was interested to read the comments discouraging this division
of books.  I had the same thoughts and wondered if I was the only
person who felt it was unnecessary.  In addition to stymying the
lower ability upper student it would limit the gifted young child.
   Another problem -It creates an additional way to misshelve
books. :)
  I don't think I would use the tape to identify the books as
lower ability level....The children will soon know the code.
Children will select per their interest levels.  If the
illustrations of the information books appeal greatly to the
child who can't read perhaps an adult will be reading it for
the child.
  This year I have a school of responsible students (except
for a few).  I have allowed 1st graders to check out 2 books.
I gave the stipulation that one book must be from a designated
cart (which held books on their reading level).  The second
book could be anything the child wanted.  This gave the child
a book to practice reading skills as well as one which might
be too difficult but reflect an interest of that child.

Mary Ludwick         Ludwick@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home