I have 5-6th graders only in my school, but I buy some easy readers and
picture books for the slower readers.  To help take the stigma away, I often
read these books to classes.  You can do a wonderful ham-it-up job on Robert
the Rose Horse!  6th graders die laughing.  I always preface it by saying we
never outgrow the love of hearing our old favorite stories read again and
again, and then, whatever easy book I've read become very in-vogue.  It
helps that I have lots of open access so that kids can read an easy book and
exchange several times a week.  My picture books circulate among even my
good readers.  I tell them if they've never heard Robert the Rose Horse, or
Are You My Mother, they've led deprived lives and I intend to correct that
situation before they leave my school!

Suby Weston Wallace
Nettleton Intermediate Center  (grades 5-6)
3801 Vera
Jonesboro, AR   72401   swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
870-932-5650     fax 870-930-3930

LM_NET Archive Home