Thanks to all who responded to finding interesting nonfiction books for high
school.  Here's the lists I received.

<underline>Reviving Ophelia</underline> by Mary Pipher

        <underline>Failing at Fairness</underline>      by Myra and David Sadker

        <underline>The Teenage Liberation Handbook</underline>  by Grace
Llewellyn

        <underline>Am I Blue</underline>                edited by Marion Bauer

        <underline>Two Teenagers in Twenty</underline>  edited by Ann Heron
***********

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
Killer Angels by Miachel Sharra
Night by Elie Wiesel
Princess by Jean Sasson
Not Without my Daughter by Betty Mahmoody
One Child by Torey Hayden
Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody
The Acorn People by Ron Jones
************
_Song of the Dodo_ by David Quamm (recommended by our writer-in-residence)
Several titles by Paul Theroux (_Kingdom by the Sea_, etc.)
Several titles by Diane Ackerman (_Rarest of the Rare_, etc.)
The latest from William Safire (_Quoth the Maven_)
We also have the following non-fiction on our "For the Fun of It!" section
of our 1997 Summer Reading list:
_Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage_ by Alfred Lansing
_The Gnostic Gospels_ by Elaine Pagels
_Creative Visualization_ by Shakti Gawain
**************
Callahan, Steven. Adrift: 76 days lost at sea [a personal fave]
Spindler, Konrad. The man in the ice...
Bing, Leon. Do or die [personal interviews with gang types]
Preston, Richard. The hot zone
Giblin, James. When plague strikes [YA: bubonic, smallpox, AIDS]
Krauss, Lawrence. The physics of Star Trek
Oskar Schindler and his list
Patterson, Francine. The education of Koko
Durant, Will. The story of philosophy
Hentoff, Nat. Free speech for me but not for thee
Koeber, Theodora. Ishi: last of his tribe
Native American testimony [primary source docs]
Clancy, Tom. Submarine
Lopez, Barry. Of wolves and men [another fave]
It happened to Nancy [similar to Go ask Alice, but with an AIDS theme]
Ryan, Joan. Little girls in pretty boxes [how girls are kept little of elite
        gymnastics and figure skating]
Shepard, Alan. Moon shot
Terkel, Studs. Working
-------------. Hard times
-------------. [whatever his WWII book was]
Kennedy, Pagan. Platforms [pop culture study of the 70s -- fun!]
**************
Adventure books like _Dove_ are good for 9th graders.
**************
 Our incoming Freshmen boys have a choice of reading 3 of our ten books
and we have:
          Asinof, Eliot   Eight Men Our
          Preston, Richard     The Hot Zone

      Our incoming Sophomores withh read:

             Burch, Jennings   They Cage the Animals At Night
             Helfgott, Gillian     Love You To Bits and Pieces   (yes, we
know they will see Shine the movie, but the book is different from the movie
****************
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.

Also enjoyed are:
Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins and Blue Highways by William Least
Heat Moon.

Night (& another similar one I can't remember the title right now) by Elie
Weisel...
actually Holocaust books are popular.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
****************
The Road Less Traveled                  M. Scott Peck
What's That Pig Outdoors                Henry Kisor
This Boy's Life                         Tobias Wolff
Shown These Mean Streets                Piri Thomas
Black Ice                                       Lorene Cary
Outwitting the Gestapo                  Lucie Aubrac
Lokota Woman                            Mary Crow Dog
Turning Japanese                                David Mura
Home Before Morning                     Lynda Van Devanter
Born on the Fourth of July              Ron Kovic
If I Die in a Combat Zone               Tim O'Brien
When I Was Puerto Rican                 Esmeraldo Santiago
Anne Frank Remembered                   Miep Gies
You Can't Be Neutral On a Moving Train  Howard Zinn
Nobody Nowhere                          Donna Williams
There's a Boy in Here                   Judy Barron and Sean Barron
Dear America:  Letters Home From Vietnam        edited by Bernard Edelman
In the Land of Giants                   Tyronne "Muggsy" Bogues and David Levine
Letters From a World War II GI  edited by Judith Greenberg and Helen Carey
McKeever
Ghost Girl                                      Toey Hayden
Dancing on My Grave                     Gelsey Kirkland
Black Elk Speaks                                John G. Neihardt

--

         Cherokee Community School District - Cherokee, Iowa 51012
         Problems, please contact:  712-225-6767 voice