You know what really bugs me?

Hearing about library collections that have books on the shelves about the
space program or astronomy that were written before we put a man on the
moon!

How many times have we heard this?  I say enough!!

Here's what I suggest/request: let's start a worldwide movement:
the "global let's get rid of outdated space/astronomy books challenge."

Here's all you have to do:

1 - Go check your space/astronomy materials and immediate discard any
outdated ones--especially any written before 1969, but I suggest a more
recent weeding date.  Sure, you can keep these somewhere in a back room as
a momento if you really want to.

2 - As soon as possible, order at least one new resource (print, media or
electronic) in the space/astronomy area.  If you don't have any funds,
show the outdated/discarded materials to your school administrator or
library board or someone with authority to provide funding to replace the
outdated/discarded materials.

3 - Spread the word.  Tell other librarians about this -- school, public,
academic, special -- and urge them to do the same.

That's it!! Trust me - you'll feel good about this.

Mike

          |       Mike Eisenberg   <mike@ericir.syr.edu>             |
          |      Professor, School of Information Studies            |
          | Director, ERIC Clearinghouse on Information & Technology |
          |         4-216 Center for Science and Technology          |
          |      Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-4100        |
          |        Phone: 315/443-4549   Fax: 315/443-5448           |

LM_NET Archive Home