  Thanks to all who responded to my query concerning the Privacy Act when
  there is no library automation.  Sorry I'm so late in posting a hit!
  The answers are varied and summerized as follows:
                            *****************
   Our library used to mark out names.  I used a permanent black marker.
It did not always cover completely, but I figured if I was questioned
I could say I was doing something to comply with the law.
   For the past 8 or 10 yrs. it's been "against the law" here to put
signatures on checkout cards without marking them out.  Actually, we were
told to go to numbers.  As el. librarian, I assigned certain numbers to
certain classes and students. (What a pain!)
   In HS now we use SS#s.  Although our collection is on the computer &
barcoded, I have yet to automate the checkout system....we have students
write their SS#s on the cards.  Every month or so I get a fake number
which means the book will never be seen again, but for the most part, it
works fine...On the occasion when a student comes in without a number...I
just have him sign his name.  Then I make sure it is marked out.  I think
I have always just used a black or blue ink pen...
   I used to cross out my middle school kids' names so the last one could
be the one who had the book out for sure.  Otherwise they would go fill
out any empty spaces.
   ...Although we are automated, there are some sources which still have
cards.  I simply use the stay-put ink (black ink) pens attached to the
check out desk to mark out names.  You are right...magic markers are not
the answer.  Some had tried using a black crayon type marker, but the
waxy substance was very messy in the books.  Once you develop the art of
using a black ink pen...you will be surprised at how fast you can make a
signature unreadable!
   Before we were automated, we were told by the legal counsel for our
Dept. of Ed. that we needed to be hiding the names on the cards.  We used
the black magic markers.  Even though it didn't do a complete job, it was
all we could find that did work that didn't cost us a fortune.  The legal
counsel seemed to think that that was good enough...
   Theoretically we should be doing that but due to time constraints,
we've not done that at our school.  Now that we're automating, it will no
longer be an issue.
   I don't know the confidentiality laws in your state; but I know of no
effective way to mark out a name on a card--markers simply enhance the
writing that is embedded in the card.  You might try cutting some self
adhesive labels into narrow strips--or maybe you can find some adhesive
strips (they used to be available but I haven't seen any for years).
This is time consuming, but I am an avid supporter of the confidentiality
of information records.
   I find it takes too long to eradicate their name - pick up marker,
cross out, pick up another card, pick up marker...
   I give every student an index card with name, room number and other
pertinent information.  I clip the book card to the back of their name
card when I stamp their books.  When they return I spread their name
cards out on a table, and they put the book cards back in the pockets.
*End of Part 1*
                Jacque Childress, LMS         Cross Plains ISD
                jacquec@tenet.edu             Cross Plains, TX

LM_NET Archive Home