Continued...
   * When we used cards, I always blacked out the names on the
"sensitive" type books (body books, alcohol, drugs, divorce, etc.), and I
let the kids know I would do this.  A black permanent marker, used
heavily, seemed to work.
   * No, we don't cross out the names in Joplin, Missouri.  And, for your
information, our libraries that are automated still have students sign a
checkout card so they have an undeniable record of who checked out the
book.  Students will argue that there was a computer error, but they
can't deny their own handwriting.
   * Rules are slightly different for schools but the TX Confidentiality
Law says you may not connect a patron with a library service.  Therefore
you must obliterate the name on a book card.  Marks-a-lot (black) seems
to work pretty well although if children write really heavy the lines may
still be visible.  You might try different kinds of heavier ink or a
sticker to cover it in that case.  Public libraries that aren't automated
face the same problem.  The attorney general's staff has expressed the
opinion that even if only library card numbers are used, they should be
obliterated.  Keep in mind that until there is a court case, we do not
know if Marks-a-lot is sufficient or if the attorney general's staff
opinions are valid (they are not the same as an AG Opinion)...
   * We've been automated for years, but I do believe that, following the
intent of the letter of the law, you must attempt to obliterate the name
of the borrower.  I doubt, however, if the law has ever been tested so I
wouldn't worry about it very much.  If you want ammunition for a push for
automation, why not use fear of the law?
   If I remember correctly, brown marker, no particular kind, seems to
work best.
   ...One solution would be to convert to an automated system...A much
simpler & cheaper solution would be to have the student write their name
on a Post-It Note, and attach this to a new book card when the item is
checked out.  The card would then be inserted in a clear plastic book
card cover for protection when placed in the card file box.  The Post-It
Note would be removed and destroyed when the book is checked back into
the collection...
   We cross out the names on the cards with a black marker--as you said,
it does not do the trick.  In fact, we have a volunteer who is
incensed that she has to take the time to do this because, in her
opinion, it is ineffective in meeting the requirements of the Privacy Act
and only slows down the process of getting books back on the shelves for
kids.  She has been writing to officials to get clarification on how
non-automated ele. school libraries such as ours can best satisfy the
intenet of the law...
   Magic Markers are about the best you can do.  It keeps casal viewers
from seeing the names, and it's about all you can do when you are forced
to operate unautomated.
   I think that is pushing the "privacy" issue a bit much.  I still
circulate some books the old fashion way and I've worked in schools where
that was the only circ method.  Believe me, I don't have time to cross
out the name as books come in.  I don't really have time to shelve the
books frankly much less crossing out names.  Others may have a differing
view but I for one can't see bothering about that...
  *End of Part 2*
                             Jacque Childress, LMS     Cross Plains ISD
                             jacquec@tenet.edu         Cross Plains, TX

LM_NET Archive Home